Wednesday, February 5, 2014

Significance of Electrical Engineering

Campus is the place to learn and explore new things as well as ideas. Learning takes place through experience or observing what happens to fellow comrades. As an electrical Engineering student, life can be quite interesting especially when you are looked upon as some God-send relief when power faults occur. Tonight is one such time, when my roommate, an economics major, nearly slept hungry. I spend the last five hours in the library designing a wireless power transfer system; after all I want to be sending power via Bluetooth just like I send files and folders. When I came back to my room the frustration on the freshman’s face was overwhelming.  According to him, there was no power on the wall socket and therefore it was impossible to cook. My engineering skills revealed that there was a loose wire on the cooker and within 4 minutes it was fixed.
                            Image
I cannot imagine how much I would spend on electrical repairs of whatever nature, given my tight budget. Luckily, I get to earn from the repairs I perform on electrical gadgets.  On a lazy Saturday afternoon as I rest on my campus bed in Hostel M the new wing, a neighbor screams out for help. From my room I had heard a “mild” explosion and I could tell that there was a short circuit that led to the explosion. I guess you can tell whose name he was calling at the hour of need. My divine intervention could be compared to Santa’s early gift before the D-day. Upon entry to the room, the occupants had panicked beyond threshold. Nobody could explain what had happened. Just as in the other many situations, I fixed this fault and I won’t leave the room without a few pennies in my pocket.
One more interesting thing about the electrical engineering is the number of people one gets to meet, be it in pursuit of excellence or career development. There is great attachment to great men and women of Science. This includes, Nikola Tesla (He is regarded as the Father of wireless transmission) and Grace Hopper (She invented the first the first compiler, where applications such as Android and windows are made usable to both users and machines). This is to name just a few iconic figures otherwise the list is endless. The course takes an extra year as compared to other courses in campus. However there are regrets about it because one gets to watch generations of many freshmen go through campus and enjoy every benefit of being a senior student.  

No comments:

Post a Comment